Last Updated on October 2, 2023 by Dr. Abadullah Sajid Bashir
Shrimps and prawn are Crustaceans and found in water. Mostly belong to sea food. Shrimps is good source of protein and minerals. People like these proteins rich animals and in many areas of the word it is very demanding food. Shrimp – Wikipedia
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)?
IBS is a chronic disorder. It has many symptoms and its symptoms are also different in different patients. This disorder does not cause death. Its symptoms include diarrhoea, constipation, gas, indigestion, cramping in the intestines, abdominal pain and pain in the colon. The patient tries to minimize these symptoms.
IBS has two main types That are more common in people i.e., IBS-C and IBS-D
In this condition, the patient is constipated and may experience cramping in the bowels. Due to which the patient’s sleep is disturbed. The patient experiences discomfort in the washroom.
This is a condition in which the patient becomes diarrheic. Due to this, the patient’s bowels can be lose motion type but not due to infection.
For Detailed and comprehensive information about Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Click Here
Can I eat Shrimps and prawn in IBS?
Eating Shrimps or prawn has many benefits. Many diseases are cured by eating it, it tastes very good. It contains a lot of protein. IBS patients need to be very careful about what they eat and drink. These patients are prohibited from eating foods that may trigger symptoms. For example, fried foods and those with high amounts of spices are used. They cause symptoms for the IBS patient.
If an IBS patient wants to eat shrimps or prawn than follow
- A patient with IBS should eat moderate amount of shrimp or prawn. If the patient eats too much, he may start cramping.
- The patient should cook the shrimp well first and use less spices. If he eats like this, the patient will not have cramping and the symptoms will not appear.
- If an IBS patient consumes too many spices while cooking shrimp, he will definitely develop symptoms. In this way, the patient can go to the emergency situation.Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Dietary Interventions – PMC (nih.gov)niagarahealth.on.ca/files/IBS-TheLowFODMAPDietProgramforIrritableBowelSyndrome2019.pdfgh0119Werlang-1.pdf (gastroenterologyandhepatology.net)
What should be done if symptoms of IBS appear after eating shrimp/ prawns?
- If there is gas and indigestion, an IBS patient should take hot water.
- If diarrhea occurs due to excessive consumption of spices and large amounts of food, the patient should take medicine immediately.
- Take tea which is made with fennel, ginger, lentil sugar and cardamom
- If the symptoms do not decrease, use the medicine as prescribed by the doctor.
- The patient should drink cold water if spicy shrimps or prawn has eaten.
- Abadullah Sajid Bashir
- Dr. Muhammad Zubair Chaudhary
- Syeda Noor-ul-Ain Naqvi
For Reviewer Detail Click Here